I’ll be the first one to decry adding more sweetness to sweet potatoes, but this hasselback version drenched in pepper jelly is an exception. The heat from the peppers tones down the sweetness, and the saltiness of the goat cheese rounds out the flavors to make this a true savory side.
4 medium or large sweet potatoes, rinsed and scrubbed
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup jalapeño or other pepper jelly, warm to liquid
1/2-1 cup crumbled goat cheese
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Make thin (less than 1/2 inch) slices in the sweet potatoes, being careful not to cut through the bottom. The end result should resemble an accordion.
- Place the potatoes on a sheet pan and brush with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then remove and add more olive oil, salt, and pepper, making sure to oil and season between the slices.
- Bake for 15 more minutes, then remove and brush the potatoes with the jelly, being sure to brush in between the slices.
- Return to oven and bake for 15 more minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and the jelly has begun to caramelize. Brush with more jelly as needed to coat the potatoes.
- Remove and let cool slightly before plating. Sprinkle with goat cheese to your liking and serve immediately.