For the cake:
1 ½ cups flour
1 tsp salt
½ baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
3 tbsp cocoa powder
½ cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
¾ cup red wine
¼ cup buttermilk
For the icing:
1 tbsp butter, melted
1 ½ cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp milk
Cinnamon (for dusting)
¼ cup chocolate chips, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Prepare a 9×9 inch square cake pan by greasing the sides well and lining the bottom with a piece of parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl combine dry ingredients and set aside.
- With a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix until just combined.
- Alternate adding the flour, wine, and buttermilk, starting and ending with flour. The batter will be light-colored and fluffy.
- Pour the batter into the pan and smooth the top with an offset spatula.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the edge of the cake comes out clean and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out with just a couple of crumbs. The cake will set as it cools.
- Carefully transfer the cake to a wire rack and let it cool completely before icing.
- To prepare the icing, combine the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk in a medium bowl and mix until you have a thick but spreadable icing.
- Spread the icing over the cooled cake, then dust with cinnamon and top with chopped chocolate chips.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge.